Published in January 2019.
This module is a resource for lecturers
Additional teaching tools
This section includes links to relevant teaching aides such as PowerPoint slides and video material, that could help the lecturer teach the issues covered by the Module. Lecturers can adapt the resources to their needs.
- It's a Crime: Migrant Smuggling (app. 5 minutes), by United Nations. » The short film describes the challenges faced by migrants falling in the hands of profit-seeking smugglers as they seek to escape poverty, lack of opportunity, natural disaster, persecution and conflict;
- How smugglers illegally bring people to Europe (app. 3 minutes), by Express UK. » The video provides an insight into the modus operandi of smugglers as well as the main smuggling routes they operate on;
- Human Smuggling, a lucrative trade (app. 4 minutes), by USA Today. » Through the words of a smuggler and two migrants, this documentary illustrates the lucrative business of smuggling migrants across the United States border.
- SHERLOC Case Law Database on the Smuggling of Migrants
- SHERLOC Case Law Database of Legislation (SOM)
- United Nations web page on Oceans and the Law of the Sea
Back to top