This module is a resource for lecturers
The following readings are recommended for students interested in exploring the topics of this Module in more detail, and for lecturers teaching the Module:
- Bell, John (2006). Judiciaries within Europe: A Comparative Review . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law (2015). The Appointment, Tenure and Removal of Judges under Commonwealth Principles. A Compendium and Analysis of Best Practice. London: Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law.
- Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law (2016). Cape Town Principles on the Role of Independent Commission in the Selection and Appointment of Judges. London: Bingham Centre.
- Canivet, Guy, Andenas, Mads, Fairgrieve, Duncan (2006). Independence, Accountability, and the Judiciary. London: British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
- Cappelletti, Mauro (1989). The Judicial Process in Comparative Perspective. Oxford:Clarendon Press.
- Commonwealth Secretariat (2003). Latimer House Principles. London: Commonwealth Secretariat.
- Commonwealth Magistrates and Judges Association (2002). Limassol Conclusions on Combating Corruption within the Judiciary. London: CMJA.
- Council of Europe (1998). The European Charter on the Statute for Judges. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Council of Europe (2010). Recommendation CM/Rec(2010)12 of the Committee of Ministers to member States on judges: independence, efficiency and responsibilities. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Council of Europe (2000). Recommendation CM/Rec (2000)19 of the Committee of Ministers to member States on the role of public prosecution in the criminal justice system. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Coman, Ramona and Dallara Cristina, eds. (2010). Handbook on Judicial Politics. Romania: Editura Institutal European lasi.
- Contini, Francesco and Mohr, Rick (2007). Reconciling independence and accountability in judicial systems. Utrecht Law Review, vol. III, No. 2, 26-43.
- Damaska, Mirjan R. (1986). The Faces of Justice and State Authority. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Di Federico, Giuseppe, ed. (2005). Recruitment, Professional Evaluation and Career of Judges and Prosecutors in Europe: Austria, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands and Spain. Turin: Lo Scarabeo.
- Friedman, Lawrence M (1985). Total Justice . New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Merryman, John H. and Pérez-Perdomo, Rogelio (2007). The Civil Law Tradition. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- International Association of Prosecutors (1999). Standards of professional responsibility and Statement of the essential duties and rights of prosecutors. Vienna: IAP.
- Open Society Institute (2001). Monitoring the EU Accession Process: Judicial Independence. Budapest: Open Society Institute Press.
- Open Society Institute (2008). Promoting prosecutorial accountability, independence and effectiveness. Budapest: Open Society Institute Press.
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) (2010). Kyiv Recommendations on Judicial Independence in Eastern Europe, South Caucasus and Central Asia: Judicial Administration, Selection and Accountability. Vienna: OSCE.
- Russell, Peter H. and O'Brien David M. (2001). Judicial Independence in the Age of Democracy. Virgina: University Press of Virginia.
- Seibert-Fohr, Anja (2012). Judicial Independence in Transition. Heidelberg: Springer.
- Shapiro, Martin (1981). Courts: A Political and Comparative Analysis. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Stone Sweet, Alec (2000). Governing with Judges: Constitutional Politics in Europe. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Tate, Neal and Vallinder, Torbjorn (1995). The Global Expansion of Judicial Power. New York: New York University Press.
- Tak, P. J. P (2004). Tasks and Powers of the Prosecution Services in the EU Member States. Tilburg: Wolf Legal Publications.
- United Nations Economic and Social Council (1989). Procedures for the effective implementation of the Basic Principles on the Independence of the Judiciary , ECOSOC Resolution 1989/60. New York: UN.
- United Nations (1990). Guidelines on the Role of Prosecutors , GA Resolution 45/166. New York: UN.
- United Nations (2012). Declaration of the High-level Meeting of the General Assembly on the Rule of Law at the National and International Levels , A/RES/67/1. New York: UN.
- Vanberg, Georg (2008). Establishing and Maintaining Judicial Independence. In: K. E. Whittington, R. D. Kelemen and G. A. Caldeira, eds. The Oxford Handbook of Law and Politics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Voermans, Wim and Pim, Albers (2003). Councils for the Judiciary in EU Countries. Strasbourg: European Network of Councils for the Judiciary.
Next: Student assessment