Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides suggestions for post-class assignments for the purpose of assessing students' understanding of the Module. Suggestions for pre-class or in-class assignments are provided in the Exercises section.
- Critically evaluate the primary strengths and weaknesses of the international framework governing remedies for victims of terrorism.
- Discuss what you consider to be the underlying reasons and challenges regarding the adoption of a binding legal instruments articulating the rights of victims, including victims of terrorism. Explain the human rights and broader impact of terrorism upon victims, both those directly and indirectly affected. Argue for or against the need for a binding treaty instrument to be adopted.
- Critically compare and contrast different methods for victims of terrorism to secure adequate remedies, comparing criminal justice with human rights mechanisms.
- Consider the different regional approaches to providing reparations for victims. Which approach do you prefer and why?
- Compare and contrast different national approaches to providing support (financial and non-financial) to victims of terrorists. Which approach do you prefer and why?