Published in May 2021.
This module is a resource for lecturers
Additional teaching tools
This section includes links to relevant teaching aides such as PowerPoint slides, video material, case studies, and other resources that could help the lecturer teach the issues covered by the Module. The slides and other resources can be adapted by lecturers as appropriate and needed.
- PowerPoint Presentation(s) for Module 15 Contemporary Issues
Videos 1: Youth and radicalisation/violent extremism
- UN peacebuilding, Youth4Peace “Forest Whitaker on UN Resolution 2250 #ActOn2250” (16 December 2016). [2 minutes]
Videos 2: CVE and women
- OSCE, “Women in Security: Countering Violent Extremism” (16 January 2017). [5 short videos between 1 and 2 minutes in length]
Video 3: UNDP global meeting on PVE
- UNDP OSLO Governance Centre, “UNDP Global Meeting on PVE: Session 6 –Media and Communication” (16 March 2016). [52 minutes]
Video 4: The use of drones for targeted killings
- “Eye in the Sky” movie trailer (3 December 2015) [2 ½ minutes]
Video 5: The dangers of technological innovation
- “Slaughterbots” (Dir. Stewart Sugg). Future of Life Institute. [8 minutes]
Video 6: Should terrorists have the right to free speech?
- Interview with Nicolas Hervieux, 24 January 2016, exploring where the line should be drawn between allowing freedom of expression for terrorists and their supporters and banning them from speaking.
- Council of Europe (2016). “Should terrorists have the right to free speech? Interview with Nicolas Hervieux.” [9 minutes]
- Tech giants, especially in the area of social media, are coming under increasing pressure globally to be more proactive and quicker in their efforts to detect and remove terrorist propaganda from their platforms. This short video details some of their efforts and related challenges to do so.
- "Facebook, Twitter and YouTube take on terrorist propaganda." (CNET News) (5 December 2016). [1 minute]
Tool 1. Youth Empowerment
There are many global initiatives aimed at better empowering youth in the context of preventing and countering violent extremism. Some examples are given here:
Tool 2. CVE and Women