Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a list of (mostly) open access materials that the lecturer could ask the students to read before taking a class based on this Module.
United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy
- United Nations, General Assembly (2004). Transmittal letter dated 1 December 2004 from the Chair of the High-level Panel on Threats, Challenges and Change addressed to the Secretary-General . 2 December. A/59/565.
- United Nations, General Assembly (2008). The United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy . 15 September. A/RES/62/272.
- United Nations, Report of the Secretary-General (2016). Activities of the United Nations system in implementing the United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy . 12 April. A/70/826.
- Rona, Gabor (2005). " Legal Frameworks to Combat Terrorism: an Abundant Framework of Existing Tools." Chicago Journal of International Law, vol. 5, no. 2, pp .499-509.
- Quenivet, Noëlle (2006). " You are the Weakest Link and We will Help You! The Comprehensive Strategy of the United Nations to Fight Terrorism." Journal of Conflict and Security, vol. 11, issue 3, pp. 371-397.
Legal Sources of the Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy
- Talmon, Stefan (2005). " The Security Council as World Legislature." American Journal of International Law, vol. 99, issue 1, pp. 175-193.
- Sossai, Mirko (2004). " UN SC Res 1373 (2001) and International Law-making: A Transformation in the Nature of the Legal Obligations for the Fight against Terrorism?" Agora on Terrorism and International Law, Inaugural Conference of the European Society of International Law, Florence.
- Öberg, Marko Divac (2005). " The Legal Effects of Resolutions of the UN Security Council and General Assembly in the Jurisprudence of the ICJ." European Journal of International Law, vol. 16, issue 5, pp. 879-906.
- Kirgis, Frederic L. (1997). " Treaties as Binding International Obligation." Insights, vol. 2, issue 4.
- Charlesworth, H. C. M. (1984-1987). " Customary Law and the Nicaragua Case." Australian Year Book of International Law, vol.1, pp.1-31.
- Franck, Thomas M. (1962). " International Law: Through National or International Court." Villanova Law Review, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 139-154.
International Human Rights Law
- Cumaraswamy, Dato' Param (1997). " The Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Is it Universal?" Review of the International Commission of Jurists, no. 58-59, pp. 118-124.
- Glen, Johnson M. and Janusz Symonides (1998). The Universal Declaration of Human Rights: A History of its Creation and Implementation: 1948-1998 . Paris: UNESCO Publishing.
- Kielsgard, Mark D. (2006). " A Human Rights Approach to Counter-Terrorism." California Western International Law Journal,vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 249-302.
- Warbrick, Colin (2004). " The European Response to Terrorism in an Age of Human Rights." European Journal of International Law, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 989-1018.
- Gearty, Conor (2007). " Terrorism and Human Rights." Government and Opposition, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 340-362.
International Humanitarian Law
- International Committee of the Red Cross (2014). The Geneva Conventions of 1949 and their Additional Protocols .
- Sassòli, Marco, Antoine Bouvier and Anne Quintin (2011). How Does Law Protect in War?: Volume I Outline of International Humanitarian Law , 3 rd edition . Geneva: International Committee of the Red Cross. Chapter 4. "Sources of contemporary international humanitarian law." Pp. 149-162.
International Refugee Law
- United Nations, General Assembly (2015). Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while counter terrorism . 13 September. A/71/384. Sect. III, "Impact of counter-terrorism measures on the human rights of migrants and refugees."
- United Nations, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (2015). Addressing Security Concerns Without Undermining Refugee Protection-UNHCR's Perspective . 17 December. Rev.2.