This module is a resource for lecturers
The following readings are recommended for students interested in exploring the topics of this Module in more detail, and for lecturers teaching the Module:
Materials with this icon can be found in the E4J Library of Resources.
United Nations, Council of Europe and European Union publications
- Council of Europe (2018). Recommendation CM/Rec (2018) 8 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States concerning restorative justice in criminal matters . Strasbourg: CoE.
- European Union (2012). Directive 2012/29/EU on the Rights, Support and Protection of Victims of Crime . Brussels: EU.
- United Nations Economic and Social Council (2002). Resolution 2002/12 on the Basic Principles on the Use of Restorative Justice Programmes in Criminal Matters .
- UNODC (2006). Handbook on Restorative Justice Programmes . Vienna: UNODC.
- Bolívar, Daniella, Aertsen, Ivo and Inge Vanfraechem (2015). Victims and Restorative Justice: An Empirical Study of Needs, Experience and Position of the Victim within Restorative Justice Practices. Country Reports . Leuven: European Forum for Restorative Justice.
- Carrington-Dye, Louise, Emerson, Geoff, Grammer, Diane, Hagemann, Tomar, Hagenmaier, Martin, Hallam, Mary, Knežević, Mladen, Lüth, Mirka, Lummer, Ricarda, Nahrwold, Mario, Reis, Sόnia, Santos, Artur and Renata Soher (2015). Victims in Restorative Justice at Post-sentencing Level. A Manual . Schriftenreihe Soziale Strafrechtspflege: Kiel University.
- Chapman, Tina, Gellin, Maija and Monique Anderson (2015). Protecting Rights, Restoring Respect and Strengthening Relationships: A European Model for Restorative Justice with Children and Young People . Brussels: International Juvenile Justice Observatory.
- Daly, Kathleen (2000). Sexual assault and restorative justice . Restorative Justice and Family Violence Conference: Australian National University.
- Daly, Kathleen (2017). Sexual Violence and Victims' Justice Interests. In: E. Zinsstag and M. Keenan, eds. Restorative Responses to Sexual Violence: Legal, Social and Therapeutic Dimensions. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Daly, Kathleen and Danielle Wade (2016). Sibling Sexual Violence and Victims' Justice Interests: A Comparison of Youth Conferencing and Judicial Sentencing. In: E. Zinsstag and M. Keenan, eds. Restorative Responses to Sexual Violence: Legal, Social and Therapeutic Dimensions. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Drost, Lisanne, Haller, Birgitt, Hofinger, Veronika, van der Kooij, Tinka, Lünnemann, Katinka and Annemieke Wolthuis (2015). Restorative Justice in Cases of Domestic Violence. Best practice examples between mutual understanding and awareness of specific protection needs . Netherlands: Verwey-Jonker Institute.
- Dünkel, Frieder, Horsfield, Philip and Andrea Păroşanu (2015). Research and Selection of the Most Effective Juvenile Restorative Justice Practices in Europe: Snapshots from 28 EU Member States . Brussels: International Juvenile Justice Observatory.
- Gavrielides, Theo (2007). Restorative Justice Theory and Practice: Addressing the Discrepancy . Helsinki: European Institute for Crime Prevention and Control (HEUNI).
- Hansen, Toran and Mark Umbreit (2018). Four decades of victim-offender mediation research and practice: The evidence. Conflict Resolution Quarterly.
- Katounas, Jackie and Fred McElrea (2001). Restorative justice in prisons - a New Zealand experience . Wellington: International Corrections and Prisons Association.
- Lauwaert, Katrien and Ivo Aertsen(2015). Desistance and restorative justice. Mechanisms for desisting from crime within restorative justice practices . Leuven: European Forum for Restorative Justice.
- Laxminarayan, Malini (2014). Accessibility and Initiation of Restorative Justice . Leuven: European Forum for Restorative Justice.
- Lin, Olivia (2005). Demythologizing Restorative Justice: South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission and Rwanda's Gacaca Courts in Context. ILSA Journal of International & Comparative Law, vol. 12, No. 1, 41-86.
- Llewellyn, Jennifer J and Robert Howse (1999). Institutions for Restorative Justice: The South Africa Truth and Reconciliation Commission. The University of Toronto Law Journal, vol. 49, No. 33, 355-388.
- Lummer, Ricarda, Hagemann, Otmar and Reis, Sόnia (2015). Restorative Justice at post-sentencing level in Europe . Schriftenreihe Soziale Strafrechtspflege: Kiel University.
- Lünnemann, Katinka and Annemieke Wolthuis (2015). Restorative Justice in Cases of Domestic Violence: Best practice examples between increasing mutual understanding and awareness of specific protection needs. Austria: Institute of Conflict Research (IKF) & Institute for the Sociology of Law and Criminology (IRKS).
- Mercer, Vince, Madsen, Karin Sten, Keenan, Marie and Estelle Zinsstag (2015). Doing restorative justice in cases of sexual violence: A practice guide . Leuven: Institute of Criminology.
- Ministry of Justice (2017). Restorative Justice Best Practice Framework . Wellington, New Zealand: Ministry of Justice.
- Pali, Brunilda and Christa Pelikan (2010). Building Social Support for Restorative Justice: Media, Civil Society and Citizens . Leuven: European Forum for Restorative Justice.
- Pepinsky, Hal (2013). Peacemaking Criminology. Critical Criminology vol. 21, No. 3, 319-339.
- Pointer, Lindsey (2016). Understanding transformational space: an analysis of restorative justice conferences through religious studies theoretical lenses. Restorative Justice. An International Journal. vol. 4, No. 2, 148-167.
- Robins, Simons (2015). Restorative approaches to criminal justice in Africa. The case of Uganda. Pretoria: Institute for Security Studies, 57-84.
- Skelton, Ann and Mike Batley (2008). Restorative Justice: A Contemporary South African Review. Acta Criminologica, vol. 21, No. 3, 37-51.
- Van Ness, Daniel (1997). Perspectives on Achieving Satisfying Justice: Values and Principles of Restorative Justice . Achieving Satisfying Justice Symposium: Vancouver.
- Zinsstag, Estelle, Teunkens, Marlies and Brunilda Pali (2011). Conferencing: A Way Forward for Restorative Justice in Europe . Leuven: European Forum for Restorative Justice.
Next: Student assessment